Soups are the quintessential staple in food history. They are cheap and easy to cook up. Comforting on a cold day and perfect to start a multiple course meal. My DH loves soup. Whether hot or cold, search smooth or chunky, here he always tends to give me a standing ovation for the ones I cook! I always try to cook soup on one of my busy days during the week. They are just so easy and you can always double the batch and freeze for another time. Pureed soups are rich and creamy (without the cream) so combining flavors that go together are a must. Tomato & Basil are fraternal twins, search so different but they ultimately are a perfect pair.
This is also a great healthy dish. It is full of veggies and all of their great benefits, plus it is Vegan & Vegetarian! If you make this a night or two before, you can put into a thermos or microwaveable container and take to work!
Delicious Rating: This easy recipe for soup can be made by a beginner…I hope. The steps are so easy: chop, boil, blend, boil! What could go wrong? If you are a true tomato & basil lover than this soup is for you. I think I would add cream or some sort of dairy to it next time for a different flavor but that is my own personal preference. My DH enjoyed it and said it was better than all those canned soups he grew up eating! I served this Tomato Basil soup with some french bread but would also go great with a grilled cheese sandwich!
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK ?
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut each tomato in half and squeeze out seeds.
- Chop up tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrot and cook until tender.
- Add tomato and sugar and bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and let simmer for 15-minutes.
- Pour half of tomato mixture in blender and blend on low until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and repeat with second half.
- Return all to saucepan and stir in chopped basil, broth, and salt; heat over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
If you have an immersion blender, go ahead and blend the mix right in the pan instead of adding to a blender.
Serve with some warm crusty bread to really sop up all the goodness!