You can’t go wrong with Artichokes. They are full of fiber, low in calories, and high in flavor. I love to eat them as a meal in itself. Sometimes I go plain, salt & pepper, with mayo, or whip up some ‘special sauce’. Yes…Special Sauce sometimes sounds leery, not knowing what is in a special sauce can really put you off. Don’t worry, I tell all in this sauce! Artichokes are the easiest thing to make as well as the dipping sauce to accompany it.
Delicious Rating: Easy recipe to cook and delicious to eat. This is a great Vegetarian Recipe as well! Great for an appetizer or a side. Let me know how you like to eat your Artichokes!
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
- Start water in a large pot with steamer.
- Wash your artichokes very well.
- Clip the leaf tips with shears or cut them with a knife.
- Also cut stem to desired length.
- Split Artichokes in half for faster cooking time.
- Spoon out all feathery purple leaves inside above the heart of the artichokes.
- Place in steamer and cook for 20-30 minutes, until fork can pierce it through.
- Start on sauce: Combine all ingredients and place in fridge until artichokes are done.
- Serve warm with sauce.
- Artichokes can be all cooked at once and stored in the fridge and reheated in the microwave the next day.
These were some pretty beat up looking artichokes. I usually by the 4 pack from Costco, they are nice and big and a lot cheaper than buying separately.
Some choose to leave in this part of the artichoke and take out after cooking. I guess it is your preference. For me, taking out all the fuzzy purpleness and then rinsing it clean is a lot easier than cooking it and taking all the hot fuzzy purpleness and it just makes a hot mess!