The best churro I have ever had was in 2004 in Disneyland. Oh man, it was delicious. Sure it was $5 bucks but I still remember it and 8 years later I am blogging about it. Since Disneyland is no where in my foreseeable future, I had to take things into my own hands, well, kitchen and fry me up so churros! This easy recipe is dangerous because you are bringing addicting churros into your home and with chocolate sauce…good idea or bad idea?
Delicious Rating: Good idea if you have self control! I don’t but they were still delicious. All the ingredients you need are probably in your kitchen right now. The house fills with the wonderful aroma of fried sweet dough, yum! I love chocolate sauce on its own but dipping churros in it is the frosting on the cake. Leave a comment and let me know the best churro you have ever had!
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- ½ cup chocolate, milk or dark or both
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, water, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir with a spatula until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and mix in eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Place mixture in a ziplock bag and cut off the corner to thickness you would like for your churros.
- Add oil to a deep frying pot or skillet, two inches deep, to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate in a bowl and pour over the hot heavy cream.
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Pipe dough into hot oil, 2-4 inches long, using a spoon or knife to cut end of dough.
- Fry churros for 6 minutes and place on paper towels take off excess oil.
- Quickly toss in cinnamon sugar and serve immediately with chocolate sauce.
I was short on one type of chocolate so I used milk chocolate chips and 4 ounces of dark chocolate. It was perfect!
The dough will seem a little discombobulated when you first add the eggs. Don’t worry though, keep stirring and it will come together nicely in a few minutes.
So the sauce is perfect and maybe you should eat it with a spoon if you don’t want the churros! Both are great together or separate from each other.