It’s my 100th Recipe on Cook.Eat.Delicious! Yay! To celebrate, stay tuned for the 100th recipe giveaway coming soon!
How appropriate that my 100th recipe is a lemon recipe. Although apple desserts are my favorite, I have been having a love affair with lemon sweets for awhile now. I know I need to just choose but I can’t, I love them both!
Since I don’t get lemons as often as I would like living in Costa Rica, when I do I go lemon dessert crazy. Lemon bars are always one of the first things to be baked up. I usually eat the whole pan during the course of the day. And then I have regrets the next day, not for eating a whole pan of lemon bars but that I didn’t make another pan for the next day!
Delicious Rating: This easy recipe is up there for one of the best lemon bars I have had. It is lighter than most and a little bit on the sweet side. I think the added lemon glaze gives it the extra sweetness. I don’t particularly like the extra sweet so next time I would leave it out. The crust is nice and buttery with the tartness from the lemon and then the sweet glaze…totally refreshing. My DH loved them, saying that they were the best and perfectly balanced in flavor.
How do you like your lemon bars? More sweet or more tart?
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 stick butter, softened
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or more until you reach the right consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, flour, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Spread mixture in the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Whisk beat eggs in a large bowl for 4 minutes.
- Add in sugar, flour, baking powder and combine well.
- Mix in lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour over warm crust and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Make glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth spreadable glaze.
- Glaze cool bars and serve.
Butter + Sugar = The perfect dessert!
Don’t give up on whisking the egg. Make sure it is pretty throughly whipped, 4 minutes in a mixer on speed 2.
The only thing I hate about lemon bars is that you have to wait until they are cool. Most desserts you can bite into and burn your mouth but lemons bars aren’t nearly as set as a cake would be. Just a little bummer.