Soups are easy recipes to cook up any day of the week. There might be some prep with chopping vegetables but the cooking process is a cinch, just throw everything in a pot and cook for awhile. My DH loves eating soup, even in this hot Costa Rican weather. I love a good tomato soup and pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich…delicious!
Delicious Rating: This soup is delicious. It is creamy without all that extra cream. I added a little roux to make it thicker than a usually tomato soup. Serve this soup with some crusty bread or add some sharp white cheddar cheese to that crusty bread for a really unique and yummy flavor combination. This is a great recipe to cook if you have extra tomatoes or want a light lunch or appetizer to a meal.
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 large ripe tomates, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a heavy pot, combine garlic, onion, tomatoes, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Blend mixture thouroughly and add sugar.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- In another pan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour for 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk roux into tomato soup until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Use nice ripe tomatoes and don’t worry about seeding them.
Before adding the roux, blend the tomato mixture with an immersion blender or cool a little and pour into a stand blender to puree.
Continue to stir in the roux until you can feel the soup thickening.