The Best Salsa in the World. Yes, that is a high title to live up to but I seriously believe that this Salsa stands. Oh man, it is delicious! Delicious and addicting. We couldn’t stop eating it, it is that good.
I modeled this salsa after one of my favorite salsas: Chevy’s Salsa! I used to go to Chevy’s just for their salsa and chips. I think the waiters would hate me. The key to this recipe isn’t some fake liquid smoke, it is actually grilling the tomatoes and peppers on a charcoal grill…My mouth is literally watering typing this up.
Delicious Rating: A charcoal grill is the only option for this recipe. Gas will not give it the real smoky taste and liquid smoke is so out of the question. After the grilling it is a super easy recipe, blend it all up and serve! It tastes better (if that is possible) the next day after all the flavors have come together and melded perfectly. I am going to the store right now to buy some more ingredients!
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- On a hot charcoal grill, grill tomatoes and jalapeno peppers until charred and they began splitting.
- Place in a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Continue to drain off excess liquid that will accumulate in the bowl.
- Remove core ends of tomatoes and the stems of the jalapenos.
- Place tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, black pepper, salt, and garlic into the blender.
- Blend for 20 seconds or until your desired consistency.
- Pour into bowl and chill or serve immediately with chips.
- Store in a covered dish for up to 1 week in the fridge.