Crunchy tacos, flautas, tortas, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, y mucho mas! Yes, it is very deep on 23rd Street in Richmond and you may see men riding horses down the street and a lot of cop cars but the food is well worth it. I always opt for the Crunchy Steak Tacos w/guacamole. Yum! The food is always hot, spiced & seasoned just right. I don’t mind eating there if it isn’t super packed. While you wait you can enjoy their chips and hot salsa.
Although I live in Mexico I crave Portumex. Here in Cuernavaca the food is completely different from Mexican food in the States. So whenever we are back in the Bay, Portumex is one of our first stops. My DH loves the Burrito Mojado (wet burrito).
The whole burrito is the size of a small new born baby! The flour tortilla is packed full of rice, beans, sauteed veggies, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and your choice of chicken or beef. It is covered with hot enchilada sauce and more cheese. I am getting hungry just thinking about it. It is truly one of the stars at Portumex. Since we can’t find a burrito place anywhere in town here, DH has taken it upon himself to create a truly great masterpiece at home. His Burrito Mojado is a quick, simple, and easy recipe that you won’t be able to get enough of. Try it and comment on what you thought of it.
FOR RECIPE CLICK →
- Large flour tortillas
- Sliced onion
- Sliced bell peppers (red, yellow, and green)
- Mexican rice
- A can of refried beans
- Shredded cheese of choice
- Sour Cream
- Chicken or Beef fajita meat (or go meatless for a vegetarian option)
- Enchilada sauce
- As you cook the fajita meat in a large skillet, saute the vegetables in another pan.
- Season the veggies with salt & pepper, a bit of white sugar, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- In two pots cook the Mexican rice and heat up the refried beans.
- You can heat up the enchilada sauce in the microwave when about to assemble the burrito.
- When meat & veggies are done, warm up one tortilla at a time in a pan and and place on plate.
- Not in the middle but on the side of the tortilla, place the desired (but not too large) amount of beans, rice, meat, veggies, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce on top of one another and wrap the burrito.
- Pour hot enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Using a knife & fork, enjoy your Burrito Mojado!