I am married with no kids. It is just us two, no parents, siblings, or crazed family members with nowhere to go. Just us. But yet I always, like no fail, always make a 9×13 baking dish of macaroni and cheese. I mean, way too much for two people. I am trying to figure out why I can’t use a smaller baking dish. I think it is my love for pasta. I always think I will need more. Then there is cheese…you can’t have enough of cheese, I mean come on! Butter needs no explanation and as for anything spicy or made with bacon, well, now I see why I can’t cut how much I bake nor eat!
In all seriousness though, I love macaroni and cheese. I get all excited about melty cheese. And this recipe has that melty cheese plus bacon with a kick of heat. YUM!
Delicious Rating: Once you go Jalapeno Bacon Macaroni and Cheese you never go back. Each bite in this easy recipe leaves you wanting more. My DH and I loved it and nearly finished half the pan that night! You can control the spice with the amount of peppers you use and go crazy with the bacon if you want!
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups Gruyere, grated
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Bread Crumbs
- Boil pasta and drain well.
- Preaheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat and whisk in flour for 2 minutes.
- Stir constantly.
- Whisk in hot milk.
- Bring heat to high and boil mixture, whisking until thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in cheeses, salt, pepper, and numtmeg.
- Combine in the jalapeno and bacon and then add pasta.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Don’t be intimidated by the roux, it is simple whisking of flour & butter.
Then the cheese! Feel free to mix and match your favorite, maybe pepper jack and American!
I should have added more bacon!